New Jersey attorneys | Free Consultation.
New Jersey Auto Accident Attorney
Nearly 6.5 million automobile accidents occur in the United States annually. This means anyone can be a victim of any of these auto mishaps. In the event of auto accidents, injuries are sustained, cars are damaged, and many more damages can occur to the victims of automobile accidents. Hence, injuries suffered by victims of an auto accident can range from minor to severe, and may even be life-threatening or result in death.
If you have been involved in an auto accident recently, you may be worried about what happens next and all the ordeals you will have to go through – having to work with insurance companies, recovering from any injury you sustained, and the cost of repairing your car. In addition to the aforementioned, if you happened to be the victim of an automobile accident, you would definitely want to understand your options for getting compensated for your losses.
More importantly, you would want to know if you would require the service of a personal injury attorney to help you recover money to pay your medical bills and compensate you for the damages suffered due to the accident.
WHY DO AUTO ACCIDENTS HAPPEN IN NEW JERSEY?
A Forbes article once tagged New Jersey as home to the “second worst drivers in the country.”While negligence is known to be the major reason behind many automobile accidents in New Jersey, there are many more reasons for the occurrence of automobile accidents. The more common causes of auto accidents in Jersey City are listed below.
- Distracted drivers: Drivers talking on the phone or texting while driving, looking at the scenery, fiddling with music, or paying attention to other passengers while driving
- Sleepy or drowsy drivers: Drivers who have been behind the wheel for over two hours, those under drugs that may cause drowsiness, and those driving late at night or after a heavy meal
- Weather, including rain, snow, fog, ice, wind, etc.
- Impaired drivers, even if the driver isn’t over the legal blood-alcohol limit.
- Careless driving, including tailgating, ignoring traffic signals, switching lanes incautiously, failing to yield the right of way, and yelling or making rude gestures at other drivers or pedestrians.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO AFTER AN AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT?
Maintaining good records can assist an auto accident attorney in getting you the appropriate compensation for the injuries you’ve suffered during an automobile accident. Therefore, if you are involved in an automobile accident in New Jersey, no matter how minor it appears, you are advised to do the following.
- Remain at the scene of the accident (if it does not involve any emergency or life-threatening injuries).
- Document and capture every detail you can at the scene. You can take pictures and/or video or capture any other relevant information on your cell phone. If possible, take photos of the crash scene, the vehicles, traffic control devices and signs, road debris and/or damage, and any visible injuries.
- For the sake of the credibility of your claim, obtain from the other drivers and witnesses relevant details, such as their contact information, driver’s licensenumbers, insurance information, and license plate numbers.
- To avoid incriminating yourself, do not admit fault at the scene of the accident, but ensure you answer all questions asked by law enforcement officers honestly.
- Seek proper medical attention immediately, and document all the care you receive.
- If you are contacted by the other driver’s insurance company, you do not need to discuss the details of the accident or description of your injuries, other than your basic contact information, until you’ve spoken with a seasoned New Jersey personal injury attorney. An experienced auto accident attorney will advise you on the appropriate procedures to follow in order to protect your rights and get you the necessary compensation.
- Once hired, a personal injury lawyer versed in handling New Jersey Auto Accident Attorney can help you negotiate with the other driver’s insurance company for the appropriate settlement or decide whether to go to court.
WHAT COMPENSATION CAN YOU GET FOR DAMAGES IN AN NJ AUTO ACCIDENT?
New Jersey is a no-fault car insurance state. This means that, regardless of who was culpable for the crash, you are required to file a claim under your own personal injury protection coverage with your car insurance agent to get indemnification for medical costs, lost income, and other financial losses incurred after the auto accident. Furthermore, your injury claim needs to meet certain conditions to overturn the no-fault clause and bring a claim directly against the at-fault driver. When an accident causes fatal or severe injuries, or if alcohol was involved, the NJ State prosecutes the driver who was at fault.
However, on your behalf, an experienced New Jersey auto accident lawyer may seek compensation for the following damages:
- Damage for loss of property.
- Permanent disability (lost wages and lost earning capacity).
- Past and anticipated medical bills and costs of therapy.
- Punitive (punishment) damages.
- Household and vehicle modifications to accommodate injuries (such as wheelchair ramps, lifts, etc.)
- Emotional trauma
- Damages concerning loss of enjoyment of life and inability to engage in usual daily routines.
In addition to the foregoing, in the unfortunate event of the death of a relative or spouse in an auto accident, an adept New Jersey personal injury lawyer may seek reparation for the following damages on behalf of the bereaved family:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Medical bills
- Loss of future income and benefits (such as medical benefits and retirement benefits/pension)
- Pain and suffering of the deceased
- Loss of household services the deceased performed (such as childcare, domestic services, etc.)
NJ’S AUTO ACCIDENT STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS
A “statute of limitations” is a law that sets a deadline for filing a claim. In most situations, the New Jersey court system gives a maximum of two years, starting from the date of the crash, to get your auto accident case started; otherwise, you risk the dismissal of your claim.
WHY HIRE US?
Our firm is one of the largest personal injury law firms in Jersey City. If you have been the victim of a car accident, you don’t have to fight alone. Our firm offers all the supports you need. Our lawyers are fearless – they have the skills, experience ,and knowledge to get you the deserved compensation. Our firm in Jersey City provides a free and confidential consultation for all personal injury cases. Our New Jersey auto accident attorney will meticulously review the facts of your auto accident case and discuss all options available to you.
The team of knowledgeable lawyers at our firm will help you navigate no-fault and fight the bully insurance companies, so you can get the full indemnity for the injuries you suffered. Our lawyers who are proficient in handling auto accident cases across New Jersey will walk you through the whole process with support and compassion. When you hire our firm, you can count on our team of expert lawyers to address any concerns or questions you may have.